Pangyrus Literary Magazine is seeking a skilled and ambitious editor to shape its publication of contemporary short stories, flash fiction, and other narrative arts. Alongside our senior fiction editor, and with the support of our associate fiction editor, you will be responsible for soliciting literary-quality fiction, evaluating fiction submissions, and setting the direction for special projects, author interviews, and features on craft and career. The position is currently estimated to require five to seven hours per week and is on a volunteer basis. This is a unique opportunity to gain broad experience with a high-powered creative team from Harvard University, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, and other Boston-area literary organizations.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Avid reader of contemporary prose. Familiarity with current literary journals, magazines, and web sites.
- Demonstrated ability with copy editing, and working with authors to improve their work
- Involvement in the literary community and interest in and ability to solicit writers for Pangyrus.
- Passion for uplifting emerging and underrepresented writers.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Familiar with Microsoft Word.
- Previous publication, editing, and/or workshop experience. MFA is a plus.
Please submit a cover letter explaining what sets you apart from the field, along with a resume, and three (3) writing clips to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until May 10 and finalists will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.
About the Company
Pangyrus is a Boston-based literary magazine publishing continuously online and in two print issues a year. We publish fiction, poetry, topical and ideas essays, comics journalism, memoir, and reviews, with special sections on food writing, the environment, education, public health, politics, and more. We have a creative and entrepreneurial team, and welcome you taking initiative to propose new projects. Whatever your passion is, as long as it involves compelling writing and reporting, we’re open to making it work.